It is a vin gris (oeil de perdrix), produced between two tributaries of the Loire, the Cher and the Indre, over 5 towns south of Tours:
It is a combination of 3 pinot grapes called "Noble":
More than merely a wine, it belongs to the history of Touraine.
Prior to the 15th century, histories noted the presence of Noble Joué on the table of Louis XI in his château de Plessis-les-Tours.
Alexandre-Pierre Odart (1770-1866), who lived in Esvres within the château de la Dorée where he created an ampelographic collection and wrote a significant book in 1845, "Traité des cépages les plus estimés" (Treaty of the Most Esteemed Varieties), also cultivated the Noble Joué and played a role in making this wine famous.
By the end of the 19th century, it had become one of the greatest wines of Touraine, winning several awards at the Exposition Universelle of 1900 in Paris.
But the marriage of nature and man is often unproductive and the varieties of Noble Joué disappeared little by little because of phylloxera in 1880, followed by the wine crises, the hazards of weather, wars and finally the urbanization of Tours.
It was not until 1975 that some winemakers accompanied by Mr. Puisais, Director of the Laboratory of Tours, the National Institute of Appellations of Origin and the Chamber of Agriculture, had the idea to revive production of Noble Joué.
And in 2001 the decree of the appellation "Touraine Noble Joué" was published in the Official Gazette.
Since that point 6 winemakers have cultivated some thirty hectares of this vin gris.